Medical insurance rates and plans
The District offers a choice of five medical plans through our membership in Self-Insured Schools of California (SISC). The medical plans meet the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements for affordable coverage that provides minimum value for full-time employees. Please click on the links below to view the Benefit Summaries of these five plans:
- Kaiser Permanente HMO
- Kaiser Permanente Deductible plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). This is a HMO deductible plan.
- Blue Shield of California HMO
- Blue Shield of California PPO
- Blue Shield of California PPO Deductible plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). This is a PPO deductible plan.
2023-2024 Rates – Rates for Contract Faculty, Classified and Management employees for plan year October 1, 2023 to September 30, 2024.
For Contract Faculty, Classified and Management employees working less than full-time, benefits will be pro-rated.
For those working less than 1.0 FTE but above .75 FTE , you may be eligible for the Affordable Care Act rate which offers affordable minimum essential coverage that provides minimum value. SRJC has determined the Kaiser HMO plan meets this coverage, so SRJC will pay the portion of the Kaiser HMO self-only premium in excess of 9.61% of the federal poverty level. During the SRJC plan year 2023-24, the ACA rate that you would pay for employee only coverage is $110.81/month.
What's the difference between HMO plans and PPO plans? Click here for videos:
Here’s how the Deductible/Health Savings Accounts (HSA) plans work:
The district deposits $100.00/month into your HSA for single coverage or $150.00/month for double/family coverage and you can also deposit money of your own into your account. You can use the money in the HSA to pay your Kaiser or Blue Shield medical plan deductible or copayments. Just be sure to keep all your receipts for your medical services and reimburse yourself from the HSA account for any medical expenses you accrue.
There are plan limitations depending on where you live:
- If you live outside of California, the Blue Shield PPO plans are the only plans you’d be eligible to enroll in since they are available in every state.
- Blue Shield HMO is only available in California.
- Kaiser operates by region, so if you live outside of the San Francisco Bay Area, then you may not be eligible to be enrolled in the District’s Kaiser plans. We are part of the Kaiser Bay Area/Northern California region and are not part of the Southern California Kaiser region, nor are we a part of the Kaiser regions in other states.
You can search for Blue Shield doctors at the websites below:
Blue Shield PPO:
Blue Shield HMO:
- Click on “Doctors”
- Type in your location
- Select Specialty, like “Family Practice”, “Internal Medicine”, etc.