Requirements for enrolling your dependents

Employees who enroll a spouse/domestic partner or children on the medical plans must provide the following documents for proof of dependent eligibility:

  • Spouse - a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of page 1 of your most recent 1040 tax return that shows your married status (block out all income). The tax return copy is not needed if you just got married.
  • Domestic Partner - a certified copy of the State of California Certificate of Registration of Domestic Partnership and a copy of page 1 of each person's most recent 1040 tax return (block out all income)
  • Children up to age 26 - a copy of their birth certificate. OR, if child is adopted: legal adoption documentation. OR, if you have legal guardianship or legal court documentation establishing guardianship the child can be covered up to age 18.

Dependents can be enrolled at your time of hire; or within 30 days after experiencing a qualifying event; or during Open Enrollment.